Thursday, February 16, 2012

Hey everybody, Star Wars is coming out...again, but in 3D!

So, after reading a friend’s column from this past week, I was struck with inspiration. I am going to talk Star Wars this week. Thanks Megan!

As most of you are probably aware, especially after the onslaught of trailers, Star Wars is being rereleased, again. Only this time in 3D.

Star Wars: The Phantom Menace in 3D opens up tomorrow as the onslaught begins.

So it made me wonder, how many of you out there are actually looking forward to it?

For me, I think it will be an interesting experience. Though I am      still trying to decide whether or not my oldest child is old enough to go with me or not.

Since their release, a few of the diehards out there have panned Episode 1-3 as the “George Lucas has lost his mind and only wants money now” trilogy. It will be interesting to see what that sector of fandom will think a second time around.

Honestly, I really despised Phantom Menace when I first saw it. Jar Jar Binks really annoyed me and the movie seemed to move along at a snail’s pace.

And don’t get me started on the horrible representation of Yoda or “Stoner Yoda” as this interpretation of the Jedi Master has been refered to by some.

Then years later, I recently took out my old Phantom Menace DVD and rewatched it for the first time since my original movie-going experience.

I must admit, I actually enjoyed it. Maybe it was because I had no preconceived notion about how great it was going to be or maybe I am just getting softer in my old age.

Anyway...

Whether we like it again or not isn’t really the obvious question this time around. That should be: What will George Lucas change this time around?

Hopefully he will change the aforementioned Yoda to the crisp, well-animated Yoda from Episode’s 2 & 3.

That change right there would change my opinion of Episode 1.

Will he put in a ton of “extra” scenes that made their way to the cutting room floor during post-production like the Jabba the Hut scene in Episode 4? That would be an awesome bonus.

One part of Episode 1 that doesn’t need to be tampered with, messed with, or even minorly revamped is  the lightsaber battle featuring Qui-Gon Jinn & Obi-Wan Kenobi vs. Darth Maul.

Oh man, that was AWESOME! The best Jedi vs. Sith fight scene ever!

If Lucas even, so much as, distorts that in any way, I will be disappointed. Like the scene where Obi-Wan (SPOILER ALERT) beats Darth Maul by cutting him in half, keep your hands off Lucas!

Much like the Han Solo vs. Greedo scene from Episode 4, some things are better off left alone.
But it is George Lucas and he just can’t seem to leave certain things untouched.

Either way, much like the rest of you, I will make my way to the theater with hopes of living out my glory days of geekdom on screen. Maybe I can even pass along a little of my joy of the Star Wars universe to the next generation of Darlings.

But if Liam ends up liking Jar Jar Binks, he and I will have to have a talk.

No comments:

Post a Comment