Thursday, January 26, 2012

If you think I look bad, you should see the other guy!

First off, let me start by saying that I was going to talk about the Stop Online Piracy Act (SOPA) and the Protect IP Act (PIPA) but something weird happened. The online community rose up and convinced Congress that this wasn’t a good idea.

Both of these Acts have been killed off in Congress. YES! Way to go internet! I told you we could do it.

Just keep your eyes and ears open for the new Act that has cropped up, the Online Protection & ENformcement of Digital Trade Act (OPEN).

Don’t know enough about it yet to give an informed opinion but after I do some reading about it, I will pass on my ideas of what I think about it in a later column, if this Act lasts that long.

*   *   *

Now about my face...

It was a cold and dreary Tuesday morning. Having fought back a fever for most of the night, I engaged in the act of an animal owner and went to let the dog out.

Little did I know what my day had in store for me.

As I opened the door to let him out, the confrontation between two immovable objects began.

Knowing my opponent for as long  as I did, I dodged and weaved to the best of my ability but to know avail.

It dropped me with one knock out blow and I lay in a huddled mass on the cement having gone head first to the ground.

Luckily for me I wasn’t out that long and that the dog had already  made his way back into the house.

No I didn’t do battle with an unseen assailant, I actually had passed out from the exhaustion of battling an illness the night before.

I picked myself off the cement, determined to not let this beat me. I went directly to the couch to assess my injury.

My face and knee both stung and I knew that meant I had landed pretty hard.

Upon checking my face in the mirror I noticed the bruising and scrapes around my eyes. It looked like I had done battle or at least been pushed down the stairs by my wife. But no, just me and the cement.

I quickly ran (hobbled) down the hallway and sat down next to my wife and proceeded to wake her up and tell her the tragic tale. Part of me knew she would be a little disturbed by what had transpired but she is my rock and she quickly sprang into action to get things taken care of so we could make our way to the emergency room.

There I would receive great care from the trained staff at our local hospital. To those helpful nurses, techs, radiologists, staff members, and doctors, I say thank you. You made the experience less painful with your care and clever whit to keep a smile on my beaten face.

So there you have it. My run in with the cement slab in front of my house.

And yes I checked when I got home. Though my face was a bruised mess, there wasn’t a scratch or crack to be seen on the slab much to my dismay.

Because we all would like to think that we could crack cement with our faces.

So the other guy, well he looks just fine. As for me, I will live to fight another day.

No comments:

Post a Comment