Monday, November 7, 2011

Week 1: So the Journey Begins

Long ago a fellow co-worker turned to me and stated, “Gary you should write a column”. To which I responded, “Why”?

For some reason this fellow adventurer of the world felt that I would be able to add some clever insight into the world through my eyes. Unfortunately I don’t know if it will be clever but it will be insight through my eyesight. Whatever that means.

Anyway, so here I am. Writing my first weekly column with absolutely no idea about what to write about, obviously. The main problem I had was naming the column. I had thought of a few and these are the top five that I discarded beyond the current one at present.

Get him to the Geek - A play on words consolidating my geekiness and my love of movies but I already have a movie column.

All the world is a Geek - Combination of my love of theater and my geeky nature.

Get him to the Geek on time. - My Fair Lady + Geek!

The Way It Is - Unfortunately I didn’t want to steal Megan’s title. Plus she is reusing that name in the Boonville Daily News in Boonville, MO.

A Geek lost in Maryville - Like you could really get lost in Maryville. I have tried and have failed several times.

So I decided on Geekology 101. Why? I have no clue. It will probably change several times in the coming months. To the point where you will start to wonder if I have any idea what I am doing. Which, of course, I don’t.

Plus, what do I actually have to offer beyond a love of movies and an attraction to anything that is new and shiny in the tech world.

I know. I could write about my sons...oh wait, Kelley does that. And does it well, I might add. No way do I want to try to live up to the quality of writing that she has already achieved.

Maybe I could write about the further adventures of my Nerd club! What’s up Ben, Chris, Pat, Mike and (last but not least) Fred! But would you really want to hear the musings of a bunch of guys rolling dice, eating bad food, and making crude jokes at each others expenses?

For now I will just have to see where my column will lead me. I am sure it will go from Techie, to comic bookie, and even movie etiquette.

I mean, really, how many times must I get stuck behind the teenie boppers who need to take a flash photo of themselves at the Hangar? It takes about 10 minutes into the movie before the spots disappear from in front of my eyes. I mean, really, are you having so much fun waiting in the dark at the theater that you must preserve it forever on the social networking site of your choice.

But I digress.

Well thanks for joining me this week. I promise that next week will be far better. Or worse depending on your point of view.

And if you get a clever idea for a title of this column, feel free to drop me a line. I am all for reader interaction.

Well Megan. I did it. I hope you are happy.

No comments:

Post a Comment